Allergic Rhinitis is a condition which occurs when your nose gets exposed to allergens. Your nose over respond to the allergens and releases some chemicals in order to fight against the allergen which result in Allergic rhinitis.
What are allergens?
Allergens are substances which cause allergy.
They may be:
• House dust
• Inhalants like perfumes etc…
• Cigarette smoke
• Pollution agents
• Industrial fumes
These are a few examples of allergens, there could be other allergens that cause Allergic Rhinitis.
Two types of Allergic Rhinitis are:
• Seasonal type which occur in particular seasons
• Perennial type which occur through out the year
What are the symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis?
• Repeated sneezing
• Running nose
• Watery discharge from nose and eyes
• Feeling of suffocation
• Itching of nose and eyes
• Redness of eyes
• Nasal stuffiness
• Difficulty in breathing through nose
• Dark circles around eyes if your problem duration is more
What are the effects of Allergic Rhinitis?
• You may develop asthma
• Your quality of life will get effected
• Inability to concentrate on work
• Inconvenience to you and people around you.
• Permanent changes in your nose like polyps, Hypertrophic inferior turbinates
• Repeated sinusitis problems
• Hearing and other ear related problems(because ear ,nose and throat are interconnected, problem in one area easily spreads to the other area)
• Avoid allergens i.e. stay away from the allergens, you are allergic to.
• Please follow the doctor’s instructions strictly
• Use the medicines correctly as told by the doctor
• Do not do self medication and do not use over the counter medicines
• Maintain hygiene and healthy habits
• Frequent nasal wash with normal saline may help you.
• If you have any queries do not hesitate to ask your doctor.